Saturday, August 28, 2021

Candyman

 



I was never a mark for the Candyman franchise. I remember them being on as a kid but i never dove into it like Halloween or Phantasm. I sought them out myself as a teen and thought they were good but it was good a good franchise nothing i needed to hype up or show people. I revisited the films about a decade ago and honestly enjoyed them all alot more. In my prep for the new one i rewatched the first, which is all you really need. Much like Halloween 2018, this is a sequel to the original that happens to have the same title. It feels a bit like IT 2017 for me cause that is a film where i enjoyed the original but the newer one blew me away(legit top 10 for me), and this here is the best of the Candyman franchise. It is tense from the start. The studio logos set the mood and the flashbacks give us the real horror in social commentary. From there the score sets in and we are introduced to characters that we see develop. The camera captures the moments in  way that is artful, gripping and disturbing. The gore and kills are fantastic and in your face. This is a perfect example of how to do a horror sequel/remake. It is a quick watch yet tells a tight story. It has heavy subject matter yet it is not long in tooth. I also love horror films set in the art world as it is a world i know well.  Much like a piece of art that speaks of injustice, as does this film, and if you don't want to take in the commentary just sit back and enjoy a well crafted slice of horror. 

No comments:

Post a Comment