Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Edgar Wright Ranked











My love of Edgar is strong, i fucking love him. In 2004, he directed my favorite film of that year, Shaun of the Dead, in 2007 he directed a fake trailer in my favorite film of that year, Don't, for Grindhouse. 2010 he blew my mind & my load with Scott Pilgrim, and yes, it was my favorite film of that year. 2013, he did it again, my favorite film of the year, was, you guessed it, The World's End. Is Baby Driver my favorite of the year? It is hard to say, but here is where it is ranked.

1. Scott Pilgrim Vs the World
My favorite comic of all time, is Scott Pilgrim, almost all of my film crushes are in the film, it is a perfect adaptation, nay, a perfect film. I saw it at an important time in my life, a time where i was destroyed, and i saw it at the premier at San Diego Comic Con, it blew me away. I have seen it like 8 times in theatres, and when i watch it at home, i quote it, well it happens for most of his films, and i even tear up. It is a beautiful film, with a beautiful cast, beautifully written, and i hope people see just how damn brilliant Wright is when it comes to these type of films, ahem Marvel, go fuck yourself over Ant Man. Also i met Edgar that weekend.

2. Shaun of the Dead
Whoa, okay, so i saw this when i was 16, I had just started making short films and i was obsessed with George Romero's Dawn of the Dead, along comes this British flick that had been jizzed all over on Aint It  Cool, and i had to see it. It quickly shot to my top 20 favorite films of all time list, and has not left that list.

3. The World's End
Take Simon Pegg, turn him into a pervy, drunk ass, let him get raucous, add a killer soundtrack, bar hopping and robots, no, not robots, blanks, and you get an amazing film. I was weary when i first read about the project, but when i saw it, holy shit, the alcohol content may have gone up, but so did my pants. What an awesome flick, and 2013 was full of awesome genre films, and this one came at a time when i had some other bad shit going one, along comes Edgar to cheer me up!

4. Baby Driver
Maybe this will rank higher some day, but at the moment, it is right here on the lower half, but that is not a bad place to be. Wright is my current favorite filmmaker, the dude is brilliant and so was this film. I love Drive, but what if Edgar Wright had helmed it? Well perhaps you take the soundtrack being a character from Guardians of the Galaxy, an odd love with sweet black & white scenes ala Natural Born Killers and toss in a bit of Kingsman, and you get this non stop, fast paced piece of celluloid.

5. Hot Fuzz
Fun flick but this one doesn't connect as much with me, i enjoy it, it is fun, but not as fast paced or quotable in my opinion, but i think the action is awesome, and all the actors do a great job. This same year he did Don't, the fake trailer in Grindhouse, and it was a highlight of that film!

6. A Fistful of Fingers
I debated putting this one on the list, not because it is bad, but it doesn't feel like a true feature, but if you get the chance to see it, it shows true raw imagination & ambition, so basically his later films, just not nearly as tight. It might be on Youtube somewhere, that is where i saw it years ago.

I should also mention that Spaced is on my top 5 favorite shows of all time list, pure brilliance, and way a head of its time!

No comments:

Post a Comment